Officially a home owner, we now embark on the never ending money zapping adventure called home improvement. And with an income property, it’s double the fun (but at half the mortgage!)
I figured this might be a good opportunity to fire up the blog again. Thanks to Shannon, who has trailblazed the home improvement front and documented it all so well!
First project worth blogging about: the front doors.
Sticker unit numbers, really?! The 2nd unit’s door has an ugly doorbell in the center, that will be destroyed shortly. The 1st floor’s door got tended to first, since there are tenants still in the 2nd unit, and I don’t feel like making arrangements to keep the door open for 4 hours to let the paint sufficiently dry (slumlording, here I come!)
The sticker numbers were so heinous I had to do something immediately. A quick internet search will tell you that you can make this numbers thing very complicated, and very expensive. Matching mailboxes, door kickers, etc. At some point I would like to put in a kickplate, and figure out if those mailslots are actually brass (probably not), but in the meantime, I got some numbers from Home Depot for a couple bucks each. I actually really love the font and am bummed that they are only sticker-backed (i.e. I can’t use them for the house numbers, which are exposed to the weather on the porch).
Once we get some more paint on (the porch and the 2nd unit’s door), I’ll have another update with the doors and address numbers.
In the meantime, I need to figure out how to sufficiently stalk the Property Brothers and get them to come to Boston.